this post contains affiliate links.
Last week I did my very first multiple-day timelapse. I spotted a new leaf getting ready to emerge from my Rhaphidophora tetrasperma aka ‘mini monstera’ and figured it was a good time to try and flex my camera skills.
Y’all! I am SO excited about how it turned out. Watch below!
644 frames. Starting May 3rd at 1:13pm. Ending May 7th at 9:40am.
I set my camera to take photos every ten minutes and fifteen seconds. (The fifteen seconds were obviously not very important, that’s just what I accidentally set and decided to roll with.) I mostly use my shutter release to take selfies so it took a bit of fiddling around to make sure it was going to work as intended.
I kept my camera on manual settings so that I was able to very very very gently change settings as the sun changed throughout the day. I wasn’t super diligent, as you can see some frames are super bright, but I still wanted to be able to capture photos at all times of the day. Each evening I’d bump down my shutter speed. A lot of the night photos are around 3 second exposures. I also left lamps on all night to give off a bit of light.
If I were to do this again (which I will!) I would probably move the plant a bit further from the window. I really like being able to watch the light change and dance across the room but I could certainly do without the extreme brightness.
If you happen to have one of these shutter releases or end up getting one (I highly recommend it!) my settings were –
Delay – 00:00’00”
Long – 00:00’00”
Interval (Intvl) – 00:10’15’’
N – 111
’N’ represents the number of times it will take a photo every interval. I chose 111 because I didn’t want to keep hitting the up button to make the number higher. I obviously had to restart the count a handful of times. I never let it run out though or else I’d have risked missing the shot.
I’m so pleased with how the timelapse turned out. I’m excited to try again and I certainly have enough plant subjects to shoot!